The area surrounding Fredensborg once belonged to a larger property centred around the Storebro estate. From the beginning, Storebro was an iron works mentioned as early as the 17th century, and after several changes in ownership, it was acquired by the Tillberg family in 1856. The iron works was administered by Cavalry Captain Axel Tillberg in 1875. That was the year that he built and moved into Fredensborg's manor house. The architect was Hugo Hammarskjold. Fredensborg passed quickly through the hands of a private owner, and became a holiday home for Swedish railway workers in 1912.

Close by is the hill, Gisseskalle which is 240 m above sea level and 108 m above the lake Gissen. The closest town is Storebro - 4 km from Fredensborg. It is the home of the Storebro works dating from 1728, which later became renowned for boat building.

Today, the Mansion of Fredensborg is a popular place for conferencing guests and groups as well as for families, golfers and passing by people.